Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Re-cap (English)

 So, this is my blog, but I think of it more as a cycling diary since I’m just writing about my cycling. Anyway, I never got any flow in my writing, but I’ll do another try for the season of 2022. Most likely you haven’t been around this diary and therefor have no clue whatsoever what this is all about, so here is a quick re-cap:

My name is Niclas, I’m Swedish and I work at an office. English is not my native language so be prepared to encounter some grammar failure and really weird Swenglish that can get pretty wrong sometimes :D. I started to ride road bikes in 2017, just to have some fun and get back some of my shape I used to have back in my teens and early twenties. I have always been a sports fan and I’ve followed road cycling closely for about ten years before I tried it myself. In early 2018 I moved to Guatemala and almost immediately ran into a guy who was managing an elite team at the national level. I started racing for his team and the first season I finished at the bottom 25% of the field. I got a real kick out of racing, and I felt proud of myself for even trying and daring to jump into the deep end immediately. I was hooked, so I got myself a better bike. Went from an entry level Bianchi Intrepida to a Giant Propel with carbon wheels. I decided that I wanted to become the best cyclist I possibly could from what I had. I was in my late twenties, so I was 10-15 years behind my competitors in training and experience, so I just focused on myself and my personal improvement as a cyclist. The season of 2019 went better, and I saw big gains in my power and race results and I was more often than not in the top 50% in the races I did. I had changed team for this year and was selected as captain for the UCI 2.2 race Vuelta Guatemala at the end of the season. Sadly I had to go back to Sweden for work. The season of 2020 got cancelled for me and I didn’t race one km but I kept on riding. First half of the 2021 season got ruined because of crashing. At the first stage of the first race of the season I got caught in a peloton crash, I could finish the stage but was DNS the day after for stage 2. A few weeks later I crashed at training after hitting a camouflaged speed bump. I barely remember it. This was the same week as the second race and the week before the third race, I missed out on both due to a shoulder injury. I then went back to Sweden for work and got back to Guatemala in August for the last part of the season. The manager of my team had set up so I would be eligible to race the Vuelta Guatemala. As a foreigner you must start a certain number of races at the elite calendar each season to race Vuelta Guatemala with a Guatemalan team (which I hadn’t). Then the pandemic struck again and all remaining races including Vuelta Guatemala got cancelled.

Now I’m in Sweden, trying to do some proper base training in the depths of the south Scandinavian winter. I will go back to Guatemala the 26th of January and hopefully participate in four stage races that will take part from February to early April before I go back to Sweden. I will race for the same team as last year and I hope to improve throughout the year. I might even try to race in Sweden this summer. Keep checking in here to get a glimpse how road cycling works in a very mountainous third-world country. I will hopefully be able to show race videos this year as well.

Lining up for stage 1 of Tour por la Paz 2021


Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Sen sist

Jag har kommit igång med träningen igen sedan tillfrisknandet från covid-19. Jag missade som beräknat säsongens första tävling, det gick ganska dåligt för mitt lag. Vi blev ändå inbjudna till Vuelta al Bicentenario nästa månad som också blivit uppgraderad från nationell tävling till en 2.2 på Amerikatouren. Wow! Jag klippte ihop något för att visa lite hur det ser ut härborta. Tyvärr visade det sig att jag är totalt ointresserad av det här lilla videoprojektet, men här kommer iallafall något:

Sjuk!

Det visade sig vara covid-19 som spökade. Jag testade positivt tidigt igår (söndag) men är i det närmaste symtomfri. Den lättaste förkylningen är värre än det jag har nu men jag har tagit ett träningsuppehåll ändå. Tävlingen nästa vecka skulle jag helst vilja stryka från schemat men jag behöver räknas in som startandes pga utlänningsregeln här i Guatemala. Som jag ser det har jag två val: Åk dit, cykla femtio meter och bryt - inte särskilt snyggt. Andra valet är att vädja till förbundet att räkna in mig som startande och ge mig dispens. Anledningen till att jag behöver starta är att man som utlänning behöver starta minst 60% av de nationella tävlingarna för att vara uttagnignsbar till Vuelta Guatemala (som är det stora målet) för inhemska lag. För att uppnå 60% så behöver jag vara med i alla fyra tävlingar som äger rum under min nuvarande Guatemalavistelse. Ska överlägga med laget om vad som kan vara bäst. Och förresten, här är den hypermoderna promo-videon till Tour por la Paz:

Tillbaka till Guatemala

Guatemala CIty, 05:30 Då var jag åter i Guatemala. En härlig resa på 27,5h dörr till dörr är avklarad och jetlagen är ett faktum, mums! Nu återstår det att se om jag lyckats hålla mig frisk, de närmaste dagarna får utvisa det men än sålänge inga tecken på förkylning, influensa, covid eller annat. Idag befinner jag mig i Guatemala City och det blir två dagar på trainern här innan jag åker vidare till Quetzaltenango. Eftersom att jag flugit med samma flygbolag de senaste resorna så har jag välkomnats in i värmen till en sån här återkommande resenärsklubb där jag får ta med mig ett extra bagage gratis, det utnyttjade jag och tog med mig ordentligt med sportdryck och gels från Sverige. Fick även med mig lösgodis och svenskt kaffe...bönorna odlar dem väl men själva slutprodukten lämnar tyvärr mycket att önska. Det är torrperiod till skillnad från förra gången jag var här så det ska bli skönt att få lite sol och jobba på en knivskarp cykelbränna som den nörd man är. Tävling om två veckor,